2011 Goal Update (November)
This is my eleventh monthly report on how I’m doing with my goals for 2011:
- Build a dining room table. Build a piano keyboard desk. Build something. Still nothing. Probably not going to happen.
- Launch twelve new websites. Created a quick and easy text conversion tool called ASCII to Hex. It converts to/from ASCII, binary, hexadecimal, base64, decimal, and rot13. I also put a lot of work into the Fake Mail Generator. I revived this site a few months back and have been trying to modernize it a bit. I’ve added a new logo and added MIME parsing, so it can display HTML emails.
I’ve also been working on a few goals that I didn’t originally blog about:
- Start an email newsletter. I don’t think this is going to happen.
- Create a game
for mobile phones. Probably not going to happen.
Goals I’ve accomplished this year:
- Earn as much from my side business as I was earning from my day job. I hit this goal in October.
- Go back to college. I’ve enrolled in a distance learning program with BYU-Idaho.
- Max out my 401k and Roth IRA contributions. The 401k and Roth IRAs are maxed out. Yay!
- Quit my day job. I’m basically retired. I play with my daughter, work on hobbies, and sleep all day. Its a pretty good life.
- Become a dad. I’m a dad! Yay! My daughter Anna was born in late May.
- Publish my first book. I’ve published my first book (paperback, Kindle, and Nook). Took me a couple years, and I
already found 2 typos (grr!)fixed the typos, but at least it is finally in print.
- Paid my taxes. I make money from a lot of places which makes my taxes really complicated, so getting this finished was awesome. I also started paying quarterly taxes because my self-employed income has gotten pretty high. It is uber painful to write a big check every couple months to the IRS, but oh well, that is the cost of making money..
- Get out of debt. We’ve paid off the last of Becca’s student loans which means we are now debt free! Yay!