2011 Goal Update (March)
This is my third monthly report on how I’m doing with my goals for 2011:
- Read the Book of Mormon again. Still really behind. Caught up some, but then went on vacation and then work took over my life for a week, so back to being really behind.
- Earn as much from my side business as I do from my day job. Earnings have made a major recovery, and at the moment it looks like I might actually reach this goal by the end of the year.
- Build a dining room table. Build a piano keyboard desk. Build something. It is finally warming up outside, so soon I’ll be able to play with my tools. I’m going to start ultra simple and create a basic shelf for my wife that has a nice beveled edge. Should be easy.
- Launch twelve new websites. Barely got this month’s site done in time, but here it is: LocalWeather.me. It is an extremely minimalist weather site that automatically detects your location. It doesn’t even have an input box to find weather for a specific city. The initial page load uses GeoLite City to find your location, and then uses navigator.geolocation to ask for a more accurate location. I need to clean up the JS some, but it does a few neat tricks, like figuring out your timezone offset so it can display local time even though my data feed is all in UTC.
I’ve also been working on a few goals that I didn’t originally blog about:
- Max out my 401k and Roth IRA contributions. The 401k is set up and automatically funding. We haven’t made any Roth IRA contributions this year because of our larger than expected tax bill. Maybe next month.
- Start an email newsletter. I’ve picked a topic. I’m going to make a newsletter for The Awkward Turtle that will include funny date mishaps, date ideas, and
advertisementshelpful product reviews.
- Create a game for mobile phones. Haven’t put any time into this yet.
Goals I’ve accomplished this year:
- Publish my first book. I’ve published my first book (paperback and Kindle). Took me a couple years, and I already found 2 typos (grr!), but at least it is finally in print.
- Paid my taxes. I make money from a lot of places which makes my taxes really complicated, so getting this finished was awesome.
- Get out of debt. We’ve paid off the last of Becca’s student loans which means we are now debt free! Yay!