2011 Goal Update (July)
This is my seventh monthly report on how I’m doing with my goals for 2011:
- Read the Book of Mormon again. I’m less behind this month than I was last month, so I guess that is progress.
- Earn as much from my side business as I was earning from my day job. This month my earnings were only slightly higher than last month. I’m not very surprised by this because last month’s new site was pretty bad. I’m still on track to reach my goal though.
- Build a dining room table. Build a piano keyboard desk. Build something. If this heat wave would go away, I’d be building something awesome right now. (I know, another excuse…)
- Launch twelve new websites. This month’s site is 8-bit Sprites. It was a ton of fun to make, but requires a little maintenance every week. So far it isn’t earning its keep, but I think it will given a little bit of time. I also created my first WordPress plugin, CW Image Optimizer, which I’ve been informed is already being used on a few sites other than my own.
I’ve also been working on a few goals that I didn’t originally blog about:
- Max out my 401k and Roth IRA contributions. The 401k is maxed out. Yay! I’ve also been filling up our Roth IRAs.
- Start an email newsletter. I’ve been planning on doing a dating tips newsletter to go along with The Awkward Turtle site, but I have a new site in mind that I’m pretty excited about and would work well with a newsletter, so maybe I’ll do that instead.
- Create a game for mobile phones. Haven’t put any time into this yet. Maybe will be working on something with my brother.
Goals I’ve accomplished this year:
- Quit my day job. I’m basically retired. I play with my daughter, work on hobbies, and sleep all day. Its a pretty good life.
- Become a dad. I’m a dad! Yay! My daughter Anna was born in late May.
- Publish my first book. I’ve published my first book (paperback, Kindle, and Nook). Took me a couple years, and I
already found 2 typos (grr!)fixed the typos, but at least it is finally in print.
- Paid my taxes. I make money from a lot of places which makes my taxes really complicated, so getting this finished was awesome. I also started paying quarterly taxes because my self-employed income has gotten pretty high. It is uber painful to write a big check every couple months to the IRS, but oh well, that is the cost of making money..
- Get out of debt. We’ve paid off the last of Becca’s student loans which means we are now debt free! Yay!